Skip to content

Tax Information New Zealand – IRD Number

In order to work in New Zealand legally you will need to apply for an IRD number. An IRD Number is a unique number issued to you by the Inland Revenue, which allows you to work and pay taxes!To apply for your IRD Number visit order to get your IRD number you will need to provide the following documentation:

  • Your Passport and one of the following:
  • Driver’s Licence (accompanied with an English translation if not already in English)
  • ‘Offer of Employment’ letter on company headed paper
  • Letter confirming registration as a student in New Zealand

Your IRD Number should take between 2 – 3 weeks to arrive. You do not have to wait for it to arrive before starting any employment, once you have applied you will be given a temporary number.

Tax Return

Anyone holding a Working Holiday Visa is entitled to a tax return, so all or part of the tax they paid whilst working in New Zealand.In order to apply for your tax return you need to:

  • Contact the Inland Revenue about 1 month before you are due to leave New Zealand. You will need to explain that you are coming to the end of your Working Holiday Visa and would like a tax return.
  • They will either send you the correct forms to fill out or advise which form to fill out online.
  • You will need to provide back account details or a credit card for your tax to be returned to you.

You can contact the Inland Revenue on a freephone number (from within New Zealand): 0800 227 774 (if calling via a mobile phone from within NZ dial 04 978 0738 or from outside of New Zealand: +64 4 978 0779. Most departments at the Inland Revenue are open from 8am – 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am – 1pm on a Saturday.Alternatively you can find more New Zealand tax information at

Scroll To Top